Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A mid-week recipe and a story from my childhood

I missed posting on Sunday due to work commitments. I did try to compose a television review but that was unrealistic because I had no research or preparation done. Therefore I broke my good streak of updating every Sunday.
Instead I made something mid-week, and then went to the park and did not watch tv.

This recipe was made out of neccessity because we had a whole box of pears that were gonna go



off and I felt the need to bake.














Since the peanut butter cup cupcakes we both decided that we needed something slightly more healthy. I had planned on making a walnut bread but decided to makes something to use up the pears.

When I was a teenager I fell off my bike pretty badly one day and broke my ankle. I was stuck in my house for weeks and my parents forced me to study. During this time I became obsessed with making miny versions of food, I ate my way through packs and packs of mini pizzas and also invented my original version of the single serving apple crumble. Needless to say I gained a few popunds during that time and now that I am a little older and a little more health conscious, I am revisiting the mini crumble and revamped it in a healthy way. (But trust me you wouldn't know from the taste!)

Pear and Almond Crumble

6 Pears, peeled and chopped
50g Ground almonds
1tbsp Brown Sugar, keep seperate

Crumble
300g Jumbo Porridge Oats
50g Flaked almonds
2 tsp Agave nectar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup Milk
25g broken oatcake crackers(these are optional)
Icing Sugar to dust

1 Cup = 125g flour
(I say this because I know that I mix my measurement styles sometimes.)

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
Peel and chop your pears into cubes. Put these cubes into a bowl and then add 50g ground almonds and 1 tbsp brown sugar. Mix and put aside. Then mix together your porridge oats, flaked almonds and sugar and broken oatcakes if you choose. In a separate bowl mix your milk eggs and agave nectar. Mix these together. The mixture should be sticky but not wet.

Grease your silicone muffin cases or souffle dishs slightly with spray. Fill them half way with the pear mixture and press the crumble onto the top. Bake for 15-20mins or until the crumble is browned all over. Wait until they are cooled slightly and then dust with icing sugar.


This very quickly turns to this.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...