Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sick day of sorts!!

I have had a rough couple of nights this week. In fact it'd be safe to say that for a number of reasons I haven't slept since Wednesday. This has left me exhausted and sore. Therefore try as I might to bake something today, my heart was not in it. Naturally this lead to a less than worthy recipe and another week without posting on Sunday. I suck. I did make some food today and it was not sweet or baked, but it is delicious.
I am therefore breaking from the sort lived tradition of baked goods on this blog and including one dinner recipe that I will be eating all winter and I hope to use as a cold and flu deterrent. Broccoli soup! I love this soup, I discovered it last year and ate it throughout the tough winter that we had here. This Autumn as the leaves are changing colour and the cold season begins I decided it was high time to resurrect the recipe and today I made my first batch.

The soup is simple and does not call for any milk or butter, yet has a deliciously creamy texture and taste.

Ingredients

2 Heads and stalks of broccoli
2 onions, roughly chopped
1 lg Sweet Potato
2 sticks of celery (optional)
3 Cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil
1 Vegetable stock cube
2L Boiling water
Basil

Make up the stock as directed. Chop up all your vegetables. They need not be very small, this will all be blended later. Heat the onion and olive oil in a large pot. Add the rest of the ingredients with the stock and the rest of the boiling water. Cook this until the potato and the broccoli are soft. Then blend. Simples!

If you desire more seasoning, salt, pepper and other herbs of your choosing can be added. I prefer this to be slightly bland as I find the flavour of the garlic and the broccoli is enough. You can also add a drop of milk if you like. However this will shorten the shelf life and it really is not needed. The potato is enough here.
I will endeavor to post a proper baking recipe next week. But for the moment I will be enjoying my soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...