Sunday, September 12, 2010

Silicone Muffin cases - answer to my low fat muffin?


For the last few months I have been collecting various AGA merchandise, one of these items was a muffin tin. So I set about making muffins and cupcakes galore. The only problem was low-fat muffins. I found that if the muffin was fat free it stuck to the paper case or the muffin tin, despite the use of non-stick spray. Then I bought these silicone muffin cases and it occurred to me that these might be the solution, so I invested and the results were brilliant. I only had to use a small amount of olive oil spray and they came away from the cases with ease.

(I apologize that it looks like an 80s cookbook photo, my camera is not great.)

So my first recipe is for wholemeal, low fat hemp seed muffins -

2 cups wholemeal pastry flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shelled hemp seeds
1/8 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup fat free milk
2 eggs whites, one egg yolk
3 tbsp honey
200g apple sauce

The method is simple you sieve together your flour baking powder then add your sugar(optional). Grind down your hemp seeds until they are as fine as possible and then whisk into you dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk and honey with your egg yolk. Rinse off your whisk before you whisk your egg whites til they are frothy. Add the milk and honey to the dry ingredients and then fold in your egg whites. The mixture should be quite aerated at this point and over mixing is dangerous.
Spray your silicone muffin cases with a very small amount of oil and then spoon in you mixture. Then cook in a 220' oven for 15 - 20 mins. or until browned and solid.
From the picture you can see what mine looked like and also how bubbly and light they are. I thoroughly enjoyed them but so did my boyfriend and his parents, none of whom are health freaks. In fact they liked them so much that there were only two left to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...