Monday, January 25, 2016

Irish Brown Soda Bread (Vegan)

You may have noticed that a few of my post here are vegan. This is partially to be inclusive but also because in my family we have a vegan, a vegetarian, someone who is lactose free and a person who for various reasons avoids taking lots of milk. So making recipes that suit these requirements is fun and gives me options when baking for others. It is not always simple and I cannot tell you how many recipes I have started adapting only to realize that it just will not work. This Christmas when I was home we were talking about Irish soda bread and how most of the recipes, including mine, contains milk. So this January I have been working on a Vegan version of my previous recipe and I have to tel you I am very pleased with the outcome.



Vegan Soda Bread

350g Whole grain flour
200g Strong white flour
1 tbsp bread soda
1 tsp salt
8-10 tbsp seeds of choice (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax, poppy) save some for top
500ml almond milk (try to find a salt-free kind)
1 tbsp lemon juice (compared to 1 tsp in normal bread)
75ml water
1-3 tbsp molasses

1. Mix the lemon juice into the almond milk

2. Mix together the flours, bread soda, salt and seeds.

3. Add the mollases and almond milk into the flours and mix.

4. The mixture will be on the dry side, add water bit by bit until the mixture is more like a cake mix than a thick bread dough




It tastes almost exactly like the soda bread with milk and it is absolutely delicious with dairy free butter and jam!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...