It's finally autumn/fall and I am so happy about it. A while back I made a homemade granola for Mother's day and it was a beautiful summer treat but granola is a year round so why not make this more spicy and autumnal?
This mound of golden deliciousness is full of all sorts of wonderful natural flavours that evoke those seasonal senses.
1 cup organic rolled oats
1 cup irish quick oats
3 tbsp flax seeds
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup almonds (activated by soaking overnight)
1/4 cup hazelnuts (activated by soaking)
1/2 cup dried apple rings
4 slices of candied lemon rind
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of all spice
pinch of nutmeg
generous pinch of salt
3 tbsp almond oil
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp almond butter
1. Preheat the oven to 130'C. Chop the apple rings and lemon rinds into small pieces.
2. Cover the apple and lemon pieces in the spices and mix well.
3. Mix together the oats, seeds and apple/lemon pieces together
4. In a small saucepan mix together the almond oil, honey and almond butter and heat gently until boiling.
5. Pour 90% over the oats and mix thoroughly.
6. Line a baking sheet in tinfoil and spread out the mixture.
7. Bake on for 20 minutes, keeping a close eye on them.
8. Pour the nuts into the end of the almond oil/honey mixture and mix until all the nuts are covered.
9. Mix the nuts into the rest of the granola and bake for a final 10 minutes.
10. Serve with yoghurt and fruit of your choice (I choose fresh apple, sprinkled with more cinnamon)
This granola tastes amazing!! I am so pleased with how it turned out, the lemon rind gives a zingy freshness which compliments the spicy apple perfectly and all the delicious nuts and seeds provide even more texture and crunch. So if you are looking for a taste of autumn that doesn't involve pumkin I would definitely recommend this. Til next week, enjoy =)
Hello again, So we have something kind of interesting planned soon. Myself and my husband are headed to America on a roadtrippin' adve...
Some weekends you just need a treat, and other weekends (after two weeks of studying and stress) you need a special treat! A special tre...
Recently I have been given the challenge of putting fondant on a carrot cake. I thought; easy, right?! So I went to an expert and asked abou...
This week we had the opportunity to go to a dinner and cocktail party and decided to try out a new cupcake recipe. There are a couple of cla...