Monday, February 9, 2015

Baked Oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins

When I started writing this blog I used to work shifts, often overnight. Shift work is incredibly draining at times and there were many nights when I would reach my normal bedtime and know that I had a full grueling 8 hours ahead. On those occasions I often made an oatmeal pancake from oats, eggs and milk. It would fill me up and give me the energy I needed to get through the night. So seeing pins of baked oatmeal brings me back to that time, it also makes me think of how much of us need an energy boost at this time of the year. I thought I'd try it out again with a basic version of the recipes I see most places and then maybe suggest some changes






Baked Oatmeal with cinnamon and raisin

1 cup (85g) Oats
3 tbsp sultanas
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 over-ripe banana
100ml milk
1 egg
1 tbsp Agave nectar (or honey)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
muscovado sugar (optional)
butter
muffin tin

1. Preheat your oven to 180'C/350'F.  Mash the banana and add the milk, egg, and agave nectar.

2. Mix together the oats, spices, baking powder, salt and sultanas/raisins

3. Mix everything together

4. Butter your muffin tin and pour in the oatmeal mix, sprinkle with muscovado sugar and cinnamon

5. Bake for 12-15mins and then let cool. Then enjoy for an energy boost anytime.



So my thoughts - these are delicious. The oats are crunchy on the outside but soft in the center. The whole thing has a delicious cinnamon flavour and the sultanas inside are plumb and sumptuous (steady on Nigella, I know) but they definitely taste of the banana and I know that at least one reader will not like banana. When I used to make the pancakes I never used banana so I wager they will work just as well without. Give it a try and I will definitely do another one of these soon without the banana as they look to become a regular feature in our house!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...