Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Berry picking and Jam


Last week I went berry picking with a good friend. Berry picking is one of my favourite summertime activities, it's fun, it's outdoors and the best part is you end up with lots of really cheap berries for jam. I have included the strawberry jam that I've made before here. This time I decided to go for raspberries and blackberries but, like the strawberry jam, I prefer not to use loads of sugar. So here's the recipe I used and what you get is something that goes as well on toast as it does with yoghurt or heated over ice-cream.




I used a 2:1 berry to sugar weight, with some of the sugar replaced with honey. I also added 1/2 tsp of salt and a tsp of lemon juice. The blackberry jam included a whole vanilla bean and the raspberry jam included 2:1:1 raspberries to blueberries to sugars.


Each jam was brought to the boil and then boiled for 5-8 minutes while the top was skimmed. During the boiling process I sterilized two jars and then once the jam had cooled slightly poured them into the jar and then cooled them on the counter before placing in the fridge over-night.


Jam!
This jam is not thick and sticky but it also retains it's natural flavours. It can be kept in the fridge for a week or two but don't worry you'll find places to eat it!


I have ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...