Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Healthy Flapjacks for my Dad's Birthday

Yesterday was my Dad's birthday and I'm celebrating from abroad. Last year I made him a skiing cake but this year I'm making something I'm hoping he would like for his birthday or as a healthy snack. When we were growing up I remember my parents making flapjacks and showing us how to make an oat crumble pie topping in a similar way. These are delicious memories and I love flapjacks but they are not the healthiest of foods. My Dad loves healthy foods and is very active. He cycles up mountains and every Sunday morning while the rest of us are sleeping in, him and my mum are out walking. So I've made a healthier version of the flap-jacks based on my brownie recipe.





Low-fat Flap-jacks

100g Dates & 150ml water
125g stewed apples
2 tsp honey
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp muscovado sugar
300g Oats
75g Raisins

1 - Preheat your oven to 150'C. Chop your dates and put them into a saucepan with the water. Boil
      until they are soft and syrupy






2 - Add the stewed apples and continue to boil.
3 - Take off the heat and push through a sieve until all the liquid has been removed, then discard the
      fiber.
4 - Brown the butter
5 - Add the vanilla essence, honey and butter to the apple and date mixture.
6 - Add the oats and sugars and mix thoroughly.
7 - Finally add the raisins.


8 - Press the mixture firmly into a lined bread tin.


9 - Bake for 30-40 minutes in the middle of the oven or until the top has browned slightly all over.

10 - Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting. Then just enjoy =)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...