Monday, May 2, 2016

Taking care of yourself

I haven't posted in a few weeks and I have been thinking about the blog and meaning to post each week but it has been so intensely busy with doctorate stuff that every time I came to write it seems that my attitude is mostly stressed or negative and honestly that's just not the side of me that I post on here. That's not to say that this is not the real me but TVandCookies is a place for the happier, more relaxed side of life and I guess doctoral stress is just about the antithesis of that, well for me anyway.



With all the increased stress around the place it's all to easy to fall into patterns of over-working, or more often-than-not underworking while over stressing. During all of this self-care seems to fall by the wayside. There are so many demands on us these days and far too often I find myself running around meeting everyone else's needs and completely ignoring my own.  Can you get these pages to me by....? We can meet on....? You will make that appointment, right? You know the demands, they come from every direction. Meanwhile the little voice that tells me what I need gets quiter and quieter until it's on mute.



Unfortunately it can't stay that way for long, without issues. So this week I have been trying to listen to that little voice and give myself what I need; rest, exercise, sleep, healthy food and most importantly nutritious treats. Balance my friends is the key to life and I believe this completely!



So these Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are my latest attempt at getting that delicious american bakery taste, and they are close, so close. They are morish, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and definitely a comfort food worth having. I have been enjoying them with a lovely cup of tea and a couple of minutes of me time (read watching Bake-off; Creme de la creme ;).

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

115g/ Half cup of Butter
146g/2/3 Cup pack brown sugar
67g/1/3 Cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1tsp baking soda +2 tsp hot water
128g/1 cup Bread Flour
85g/ 1 cup Old fashioned oats
85g/ 1 cup quick oats
75g/ 1/2 cup sultanas or raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp all spice
1 tsp black treacle (optional)

1. Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth

2. Add the eggs and vanilla and alternate in part of the flour

3. In a small bowl add the hot water to the baking soda, then add to the dough and beat

4. Add the spices and treacle and beat

5. Now add the oats and the sultanas or raisins and beat to combine.

6. Chill the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge

7. Preheat the oven to 180'.

8. Scoop out balls of dough and space well apart on a lined baking sheet.

9. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet.

10. Then enjoy a taste of home baked goodness and a few minutes of only listening to your needs.



I hope you enjoyed the post. This coming week I will be doing something a bit different. I will be trying a week without dairy. As part of this I will be tweeting daily and adding to a post each day that will go up next Monday. Wish me luck.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protein Cheesecake for every weeknight dessert

 I've been making this recipe for a while, think 3-4 years in various iterations and adapted it a number of times. This is my favourite,...